Starting a restaurant business doesn’t ensure how successful it will be based on mere luck. Everything boils down to how consistent and efficient the restaurant is in providing customer satisfaction. Ineffective operations management causes almost 60% of restaurants to close down within the 1st year of opening.
Whether you manage a single restaurant or several units, the multiple routine operations carried out need to have a system in place to take care of the day-to-day tasks and ensure that long-term operations function smoothly i.e Restaurant SOP.
Restaurant management checklists are simple and are quite powerful in transforming how your restaurant operates. Restaurant checklists help your staff focus on operations more efficiently, ultimately allowing you to:
- Drive compliance with internal standards
- Streamline daily tasks and processes
- Cut labor costs
Restaurant Management Checklist: Decoded
The restaurant management checklist can be divided into 6 parts based on the different operational aspects to be looked into on a daily basis:
1. Manager’s Duties Checklists: This includes manager duties during restaurant opening and closing, rush hour and shift changes. Some of the tasks included in the manager’s checklists are:
- Manager’s Opening Checklist
- Open the cash register and add the opening cash
- Check inventory
- Project the sales for the day
- Check restrooms
- Shift Change Checklist
- Hand over all the necessary information to the next manager starting the shift
- Manager’s Closing Checklist
- Count the register
- Check if staff are following the designated checklists
- Check the detailed sales report for the day
- Record the tips and allocate them to the appropriate employee
- Check the stock utilized and available stock
2. Side Work Checklist: These set of checklists include tasks to be performed by the staff when the work hours are slow or when the restaurant closes for preparing for the next shift. Some of the common tasks involved are:
- Front of the Restaurant Checklist
- Clean the cutlery and arrange tables
- Fold the napkins
- Check if menus are on all the tables
- Change the flowers to fresh ones, if they’re being used as decoration
- Back of the Restaurant Checklist
- Sharpen all the knives and refill all stations
- Check the refrigerator temperatures
- Organise the fridge and storage rooms
- Refill the spices and check the levels of critical food items in the inventory
3. Kitchen Prep Work and Cleaning Checklist: These checklists are important in order to make sure hygiene is maintained, the dishes keep coming out without any delay. Some of the tasks that go into these checklists are:
- Kitchen Prep Work
- Clean and chop the vegetables
- Prepare all the sauces in advance
- Marinate the fish and meat
- Keep the broth prepared
- Cleaning Checklist
- Clean all the stations and chopping area
- Keep all extra food away
- Have all the knives and utensils in the appropriate places
4. Server’s Checklist: These checklists include duties to be performed by the servers before the service begins, during shift change and while closing the restaurant. Some of them are:
- Opening Checklist
- Ensure that the floor is clean and dry
- Have all the tables clean with fresh table cloths and napkins
- Place menu on every table
- Shift Change Checklist
- Inform important happening of the day to new servers coming in for the next shift
- Closing Checklist
- Add notes for servers in the opening shift
5. Bartender’s Checklist: This checklist is a must for restaurants with an in-house bar and includes duties of the bartender at different times of the day like:
- Bartender Checklist
- Check total sales for the day
- Record number of bottles taken from the stock
- Damages to the bottles
- Checking stock available for the next day
6. Marketing Checklist: this checklist is important as it focuses on tasks related to marketing happening within the restaurant. Some of the tasks they focus on are:
- In-house Marketing Checklist
- Monitor comments on social media
- Check restaurant reviews
- Post photos of dishes and the ambiance
- Research new vendors, equipment, products, services etc.
Consistency and service quality can be easily maintained by automating routine operation checklists. In fact, Hartford Business has stated that maintaining checklists, especially for recurring tasks, is the most effective method to track operational efficiency.
Having daily checklists for the different roles and departments ensure that your restaurant is efficient, up-to-date and organized. It also makes it easier for staff to plan their day and even train new employees by easily referring to the checklists assigned to them.
PAZO Solutions For Operational Efficiency And Customer Satisfaction
a. Front Office Task Lists & Audits
Ensure that no tasks are missed during the day with checklists scheduled at designated intervals to be submitted by the assigned staff on duty
b. SOP Adherence
Why rely on SOPs maintained on paper that gives no clear picture if they’re being adhered to on a daily basis? Maintain quality and consistency in every task carried out with the help of digital checklists and reports.
c. Housekeeping Operations
Easy to complete checklists, with image upload, to ensure that cleanliness is maintained throughout the hotel, all day long.
d. Security And Patrol
Unique QR codes can be assigned to locations for patrolling, to ensure accountability and maintain security all throughout the premises
e. Customer Feedback
Continue delivering customer satisfaction by improving operations with feedback provided by customers during their stay.
f. Strategize Critical Assets, Operate Effectively
With a detailed analytics dashboard, keep a track of performance, customer feedback, issues raised and resolved, etc in order to improve operations.
Running a hotel efficiently requires constant efforts to provide the best customer experience while ensuring that the employees are happy as well. Don’t be swamped with pages of written reports, missed checklists, and continuous follow-ups to have tasks completed on time. With PAZO, you can now digitize your daily operations at every hotel while ensuring there is no compromise on brand standards, quality, efficiency, productivity, and customer satisfaction.